Decided I wanted to start using my Ruger Bearcat more, carry it hunting sometimes. Looked at the official Ruger holsters, and while a nice design, being straight draw, drop looped, I really tend to prefer a higher riding pancake style holster.
Looked around online, but didn’t find anything I really liked, nor anything I could afford.
A couple years ago I made a simple pancake holster for my Bersa Firestorm 380, thats worked out great, been the most comfortable gun/holster combo I’ve ever carried.
And, having the left overs from that leather in the shop… 😉
Since I liked the carry of the Bersa, I copied the shape, size, and carry cant (slightly forward/FBI style) exactly off that holster.
Only change I made was to add a “sweat shield” as they’re called, to the back top. Not really to shield the gun from me, but me from the gun; When you carry in cooler weather, without tucking a shirt in behind the gun, it can be a little cold against you! (The Bersa holster was originally made to be ambidextrous, to be worn on either side, thus it’s straight cut on the top front and back.)
Some glue, yes I know thatd a wood glue… but wood and leather are both fibrous organic substance, the glue doesn’t know the difference!
“Clamped” for a bit;
Partially stitched test fit;
Checking where I might put a tension rivet, or a line of stitching closer to the gun.
I’ll trim/round the upper corners of the back shield aftercsome carry and use, as I decide how wide, abd high it needs to be.
I decided against the tension rivet or stiches, because honestly with the firm grip it has in such a deep coverage, I don’t think it is necessary. AND, withbthe holsters shape left generally open, I hoped that my Ruger MKII would also fit in it.
Again, deep coverage of the gun, so I decided against a safety strap. I can always add it later if it seems needed.
And yes, it turned out to fit the MKII almost as perfectly!
They’re not fancy, nor perfect, but they work, and that’s what’s important to me in basic field gear. 🙂
A ‘32 Ford Hot Wheels plus a big split ring equals a new key chain for a spare key for my truck–Which I need to get, right now only one key exists for it..
No mods to the car were needed, with no side windows in it, I just had to thread the ring through!
Well, if anyone sees this fella in the wild, corral him if he pleases… I managed to misplace him while out and about this last weekend. 😦
Hoping, if I can’t find him, and I doubt I could, –it happened somewhere in 3 days afield in a variety of places, I doubt he’s anywhere close to home– but I hope someone finds him, and even if i couldn’t, they could take possession, instead of his rusting away somewhere. 🙂
Now, what’s amazing, is I usually lose something on days where I’m on my back working… Under trucks, crawl spaces, etc. They slide from pockets then.
The day I’m sure I miss placed it(3.17.18), I was busy and working at church, but never that I can think of, in any place or position that I could have slipped anything out of a pocket.
Dont remember using it at all, where I could have left it laying either. Strange!
Checked one buddies pickup seats whom I’d rode with, and asked him to check his couch where I was a few minutes… Checked my truck. Nope.
Wouldn’t be so bad if I just knew where or how I lost it, even if I couldn’t get it back… It’s the unknown how, where, and why that’s the worst of it!
Pics taken Feb. 5th up to March 15th.
All the EDC/pocket dump pics I took in January of 2018. 🙂
Needed a good easy place to clamp some large pieces of wood to the bench to work them for an upcoming project. Reminded me I’d wanted to build a traditional woodworkers bench side vise..
While digging around online, I found this concept on youtube. Not as traditional or elegant as the all wood single screw style I had in mind, but it’s easier, faster and would cost me nothing; perfect!
Few feet of 2″x4″, some 1″x8″, some screws, and a set of pipe clamps I wasn’t using, and about 2 hours;
After a few days on there, the front jaw board warped on me. In its defense I ripped it down from a 12″ width, so it was used to haveing more support…
Others building these are laminating up to about 2″ or 3″ thick, but I figure I don’t need that stability, nor want to take the time for it now. Now it seems I might have to just to stiffen it up.
I then put a new face of oak on it. Should be more stable and warp less. Later I’ll laminate it up to 2 or 3 thicknesses if I need to.
I honestly don’t know how I ever got anything done before, it’s so wonderfully handy to have!
Finally remembered to fix the Leatherman sheath that I carried my Vic Spirit in. The Nylon one was working so well, I’d forgotten about it.
Oil tanned leather strap scrap, and a few rivets. Was going to just restitch the top of the loop shorter, but the lower stitches didn’t look too swift. And no way I could stitch the bottom(OK, it IS possible, but I don’t have the patience or dexterity to do it). Decided screw it, new loop piece, clear the stich holes with longer length and rivet it, a lot easier!
Light imprint on the loop where I over did the vice (too hard to get these rivets to seat without off setting/bending over with the hammer and punch made for them, so I always just vice press them). It doesn’t show, and I wouldn’t care if it did…
Forgot about the front snap (whoops! )when I did them, crimped one spot on its edge. Still works fine… if it messes up latet4, I can replace it no big deal.