Just some misc. EDC stuff from this last week.
Been collecting keys to other peoples houses lately, for things like house sitting, checking on places/people etc. But it’s a pain keeping track of separate small key sets.
So I added a permanent unused/empty S-biner to my keys. Doesn’t add really any bulk when empty, but any day I need another houses keys I can clip them in, and know they’re safe.
Strategically placed between other items to keep it from catching anything in my pocket or in the truck. And placing any kets I add where they don’t tangle with the keys I use the most.
Annnd, found out if you grip extremely hard with this little SwissTech tool, you can bend the handles at the rotary joint. Don’t even remember now what I was working on, but I did apply a LOT of pressure. All I could as I recall.
They bent in far enough that they wouldn’t clear the jaws to fold up again.
So, bent back out… which took some considerable force.
Problem there though, is that the back and forth flex loosened the joints, and they were a friction joint that kept them roated up. And staying up is what keeps the tool closed, and compact too.
Plus the way I carry it is a ring trapped in the locked closed jaws… no good if the handles flop down and let the jaws open.
Tried pressing thd joints in a vice, but the two handle pieces were still tight to each other. Ended up simple putting a cone ended expanding punch on the hollow rivet end and whacking it… Actually over did it the first time, had to loosen again, and reset again.
Angle of the handles is still a little tighter to the jaws than it started, but it’ll just stay closed better. Better a bit too tight than flopping around!
Next time I need that much torque, I’ll go get bigger pliers! Not like I’d be far from any since this is in-the-house edc anyway.