“Shelf what??” Your saying, right? 😉
Bench dogs are pins, or flat jaws, that slip into dog holes– holes in the top of a work bench, for holding thing on the bench top.
You clamp the work piece between the dog and the vice at the edge of the bench, or a bar clamp/C clamp or two. With a large grid of holes, you can hold just about anything in any position.
I like the concept but hate the idea of having all the holes in the bench. Seems a great way to ruin a layout surface, and a place to lose hardware.
Then I saw this trick/tip that a fellow sent in to this month’s issue of Woodsmith magazine;
It uses cabinet shelf support rails and clip brackets as simple in line dogs for the vise; GENIUS!
After pricing the track and clips, $3 for 6′ of track, and about $3 for 12 clips… Yeah, no brainer dude! 😉
15 minutes with my router, and I have bench dogs! Was a little fiddly to do, only have a 1/2″ straight cut bit, but the tracks are 5/8″ so I had to cut each channel twice for width. Track is 3/16″ thick, wanted it at least flush, I cut about 7/32″ deep to garantee it can’t catch on anything when not in use.
Clips in place;
Then I just made the old front jaw front the vise into the cammed over jaw insert needed. Great to use that vise to make things for the vise! (Really have no idea how I survived so long without that vise!)
A few strategically placed screws makes a storage spot for the vice jaw under the end of the bench.
And the left over ~11″ of track made a clip storage rack.
Can’t beat simple, cheap and easy, especially if it works!
Needed a good easy place to clamp some large pieces of wood to the bench to work them for an upcoming project. Reminded me I’d wanted to build a traditional woodworkers bench side vise..
While digging around online, I found this concept on youtube. Not as traditional or elegant as the all wood single screw style I had in mind, but it’s easier, faster and would cost me nothing; perfect!
Few feet of 2″x4″, some 1″x8″, some screws, and a set of pipe clamps I wasn’t using, and about 2 hours;
After a few days on there, the front jaw board warped on me. In its defense I ripped it down from a 12″ width, so it was used to haveing more support…
Others building these are laminating up to about 2″ or 3″ thick, but I figure I don’t need that stability, nor want to take the time for it now. Now it seems I might have to just to stiffen it up.
I then put a new face of oak on it. Should be more stable and warp less. Later I’ll laminate it up to 2 or 3 thicknesses if I need to.
I honestly don’t know how I ever got anything done before, it’s so wonderfully handy to have!
Finally remembered to fix the Leatherman sheath that I carried my Vic Spirit in. The Nylon one was working so well, I’d forgotten about it.
Oil tanned leather strap scrap, and a few rivets. Was going to just restitch the top of the loop shorter, but the lower stitches didn’t look too swift. And no way I could stitch the bottom(OK, it IS possible, but I don’t have the patience or dexterity to do it). Decided screw it, new loop piece, clear the stich holes with longer length and rivet it, a lot easier!
Light imprint on the loop where I over did the vice (too hard to get these rivets to seat without off setting/bending over with the hammer and punch made for them, so I always just vice press them). It doesn’t show, and I wouldn’t care if it did…
Forgot about the front snap (whoops! )when I did them, crimped one spot on its edge. Still works fine… if it messes up latet4, I can replace it no big deal.
Had a scrap of oak plank in the shop after another recent project. Also had a Y stick slingshot I’d started laying on the bench. Reminded me I’d wanted to do a silly board cut(as they’re called online, ie; cut out not a stick Y or fork) slingshot for a while.
So, being between projects… 😉 I grabbed a pen and various round items to trace radii, and went to drawing one up.
Jigsaw, drum sander, router and drill later; Plus cutting bands from a old truck inner tube… Some tiring and riveting too.
I’m not 100% fond of the joints to the leather shot pouch/grip, but it works. It was my third Concept, to get a solid low profile joint that didn’t tear out the rubber. It’s less low profile than I wanted. But, as I said, it works. If I can think of something else/better, I’ll try it…
What little I can shoot it inside the shop, it works great. Bands are a bit low in stretch, low power, but do work. If I can spare some cash, I might pick up better bands, if these prove to be too “slow” for my plinking needs. Might play with layering or tapering and length of inner tube straps too. 🙂
Will finish it later, when I can pick up some oil that I need for several projects I have ready for finishing/coating now.
I like it. Came out pretty good for a first non stick slingshot, if I do say so myself!