This knife has a looong history of mods with me. I first got it in late 2005, or early 2006. I think in 2006.
It was the fist traditional pocket knife that I really carried a Lot and worked a Lot. We started building our garage tgat summer and I remember the lighting fast cuts it made opening cement bags… A highly abrasive task that never seemed to phase it.
It is made by Bear MGC, Now Bear and Sons. Its a Damascus steel 4.125″ 2 blade trapper. It was built with brass liners, nickel silver bolsters, and thick swell center burnt stag bone handles.
Within a week I’d ground the stag down to smooth “normal” profile, and retoasted them a light caramel.
Within a couple years, I’d taken it apart to rehandle it in sonething else.
About 10 years later, I had gotten back to it after purchasing another like it that I did in moose stag.
At that pointvid picked out materials, etc along the way, knew what I wanted to do, had just never had the time or gumption to do it.
Finally in 2015, I decided what the heck, and did it.
The saga of that build can be seen here;
I think I’ve carried it five times since I built it like that. Used less. When I did it, I left it Really thick toward the back, for a tapered fatter grip, which I thought I’d like.
It was OK to grip, but not great, and turned out horrendous to pocket.
The best couple pics at the end of the above posts, that show what I ended up not liking, are these I think.
Aaaannnnddd… where I started this time;
I carefully sawed slots in the “pins”(corby bolts!), cranked them apart, and took the sucker apart. Thankfully I had a hatred for glueing knife scales on, so no trouble there.
Cut and filed the uneven bolsters the same length(damn close)
evened the scales lengths, made spacers for the gap, made/modified pins(bolts) to fit, thinned the scales out.
Looks like I missed pics of cutting, stacking, and installing the fiber spacers. That was tedious but i got them a tight fit.
During, attached together to match the profile, thicknesses easier, blue tape the super glue that together.
Got into some porosity… semi super glue filled after I was done.
Top bolt was the same as the lower when I started, had to lathe them so the shanks were longer. Half this hardware was in the knife when I took it apart. The other half was pirces Id screwed up the first time around that I had to mod/fix.
Made a short brass spacer from a loveless bolt set even shorter for a corby bolt I had that wasn’t long enough to reach through the second liner… spacer is threaded so when its all cranked together its the same support and grip as the corby shaft being longer..
Assembled and had actually sanded the scales too short from the spacers(freaking fine sanding to fit the angles) so I came up with a secret weapon, and filled the gaps.. color even works ok with these scales.
We’ll see how durable it turns out to be.
Assembled and ground the corbys off, still no epoxy in it in case I want to have it apart again someday. (Not likely!!!)
Finish sanded and thinned it some more, hand sanded everything @220, and buffed lightly…
Need a clean buffing wheel, will set that up and buff the bolsters to high gloss… someday. 😉
But for now, she’s done again! Its a lot cleaner of a build now, and friendlier in hand and pocket.
I like it a lot better!! Its a much better grip, still thicker than a single blade trapper would be, it feels like a slightly thick two blade folder, or a thin fixed blade. And it basically disappears in pocket too.
Maybe after about 15 years, I might get to carry it again. 🙂
(Wood filler is the thin tan lines between the bone scales and the first red spacer)