I have no idea when CKX stopped making this helmet. This one is marked as being made in 1998. I bought it around 2000 or 2001.
It is a snowmobile helmet, lightly insulated, and with a double pane face shield, to mitigate fogging/frosting.
It never worked worth a damn. It was always a frosted mess I couldn’t see out of. Add to that my hatred at the time of the great lack of visibility out of a full face helmet, it was soon shelved.
Somewhere along the way, I took the face shield off of it. I’m not exactly sure why now.
It’s served perfectly well that way for several years now, both as my motorcycle helmet, off and on, and the one I kept as a helmet for a passenger on the bike.
But the last couple years, I’ve had an increasing problem with wind noise while ridding.
For years I never wore a helmet, nor hearing protection, and I guess it’s caught up to me. I much prefer no helmet, for hearing, visibility, and just general feel and awareness of the world when ridding, not only a bike but atvs, and snowmobiles too.
I also prefer no windshield, for the same reasons.
A couple years ago when I got back into ridding a lot, I had to start wearing a helmet for hearing protection, or else I ended up with my ears ringing, and that cloudy wind tunnel effect for hours after I got off the bike.
This helmet has served well for that for a couple years, sans face shield.
But, it has its problems. Mainly, since it is designed to be a full face helmet, it doesnt have the row of denser foam in front of your ears that blocks wind on a regular 3/4 or open face style helmet.
And my sensitivity to the wind noise has worsened to where any ride even with the helmet screws up my hearing.
Last year I took to wearing hearing protection, in the form of simple foam ear plugs.
That works perfect for the wind noise. But after more than an hour on the bike, your ear canels can get sore from the constant pressure they use to seal. Softer rubber plugs have nevet sealed well enough for me to work well enough for shooting, so foam has been the only option.
Also, with the plugs, you don’t hear traffic, nor the bike. Not good. Rather dangerous in fact. It can also be disorienting, to be in motion, with little to no sound.
Add to that the audible shock of how loud the world is when you take the plugs out after having them in an hour, and I needed an alternative.
So, with a two day fuzzy feeling in my ears, and sore ears to boot from the plugs after my first good ride this season, I went looking for an alternate lid to wear; The open face helmet thst was my Dads.
Took forever to find it. With it was the shield from this helmet.
Then I found again why I hadn’t been using it; its a good size and a half too big for me!
Enter the idea to just buy a new open face helmet.
But, I have that shield…
See, I’m broke, and trying to not have to buy anything, thus digging out old helmets to try to begin with.
I’d honestly wanted to re mount the shield to it at other times in the past, but couldn’t.
Verry simply, the fancy half turn twist lock screws that hold it and the helmet side aplates on, got lost not long after they were taken out. Then at some point the shield and side plates were lost.
At times I’ve come across the shield, and even tried getting new plates and screws, but never with any success.
I’m not sure why but I’d never really thought before about creating new mounting for that shield, but this time I was considering it.
I was even looking at it to see if I could mount it fixed; at least it’d be on there even if it didn’t hinge.
And there in lies where the light bulb went on. I suddenly saw exactly how I could fix it, and have it hinge, knowing exactly what piece of hardware I could do it with!
And knowing I just happened to have two of that item left over from a mid winter project, off to the shop I went!
First up was to measure the hole in the helmet, which was 0.25″. Perfect! The hardware I we thinking of using is 1/4″!
That hardware being T-nuts.
Next, measure the outside of the nut shank, and pick a bit, I ent 0.005″ smaller, for a press for. Then still the holes out.
Then, grind down the tang spikes in the nut, flush with the rim, and test the shank fit, and press in for depth test. Then also reduce the run diameter, to fit the recess.
And, finally, applied a few touches of super glue to reinforce the nuts seat and press them in.
All that was left then was to shorten the bolts I had, so they bottom out just as the head seats, and compresses the lock washer I used. Fender washers to cover the large hole and grip the visor, then a split lock washer, and seat the bolt. Gave perfect tension on the first try! The visor “click” ratcheting opening tension works great, smooth, but with drag, but also stars put in any notch you stop on(tested with it half open at 40mph too, no movement!)
The only issue I see when done was the gap along the top, reminding me that there had been a foam piece framing the opening on the helmet before. I thought it might allow some charter of the shield.
Turns out the gap is no problem! No charter, no vibration, and no air leaks!
It cuts the wind noise I had by half or more! Perfect! I’ve only had it out for two short 10 mile rides so far, but after both, I had no hearing or ear issues! As a bonus, one of those rides I was caught in pouring rain, and the warm dry face was a Very welcome change!