After the hand sanding;
After two coats of true oil, and buffing out with some textured leather(didn’t have any steel wool);
It actually looks better, and more even in person… the cameral flash is playing tricks with the finish.
The forestock blank that came with it;
It needed trimmed for length, and the top opening for the barrel cut. Also the 2 dia stepped hole through the center needed oepened up some. You can see some of the curl in the grain here, it was actually a pretty decently figured piece of walnut;
I opened up the holes as best I could, and cut it down, then figured a way to easily cut the open top into the inner channel…. Ripping saw on an angle, at measured marks for the barrel taper. Worked great;
Except I missed. The outer dimention I measure and cut on should have been my Inner dimension… So its the right contour to fit the barrel, just Waaayyyy too wide. Ironically it fits the .32 cal barrel O got perfectly, but still too deep, without enough room under the barrel for the mag tube.
Ah well, can’t win them all. And its not like I lost much, it didn’t fit before, and that hasn’t changed! 😉