SOme of you will remember that I got TWO recievers and barrels in this set of gun parts.
I bought a take off barrel from a vintage Remington Model 41 in .32 cal, .32 Remington to be exact.(basically a copy of the 30–30 Win in .32 cal) At 22″ long, its plenty of room to cut the chamber off of, re-chamber, thread, and mount to the other Model 25 receiver I have.
We decided it was more fitting/traditional and easier to build that one as a 32-20, so as to have a matching Model 25 set. And also not have to deal with finding/loading rare brass for the 218 Bee. (of the three cartridges 32-20 is the easiest to get right now, even available as factory ammo thanks to cowboy action shooting, neither of the other two are available as ammo or even in new brass!)
Also, that 218 barrel is under 16” long, and technically makes the rifle illega without a class 2 tax stamp/registration…
And on that note, since I was able to order the parts for the first one, I now have one of everything needed to make a working action(being able to make it work is a whole ‘nother point though.. 😉 ) I can use the one complete action for patterns and models to build a second set from scratch, to build the 32-20 rifle from!
Recieved that .32 cal barrel yesterday. Its perfect for this!
The outside is a little rough and pitted at the breech end, but most of that will be cut off anyway… The bore on the other hand is Fantastic! Heck, its better than the bore in the .25 cal barrel on the other gun!
At 22” long, and removing the 2.525” chamber and throat(~1/2”) from the 32 Rem, leaves it at 19”, standard carbine length. The Barrel dia at that point is around .860” The Dia of the barrel on the receiver is around .700” at the reciever! The threads obviously being smaller, means I have plenty of metal to work with to reduce and turn the new threads on… about 1/8” over the minimum I need. Great!
Also, after removing the 218 barrel from the receiver;
(an barel vise tends to cost about $100… I do need one, but the bench vise works fine, especially on a barrel i am not intending to keep, and thus not worried about… On the other hand, a action wrench, when you can get one, can run $200+… And I’d never get one to fit such an obsolete gun anyway…. I improvised;
Yes, thats a large pipe clamp(on about 4′ of pipe too! was great leverage!) Clamps tight, easy to adjust, and SMOOTH jawed to avoid marring the parts. I made sure to install the lower reciever/trigger guard assembly first to fill the hole in the frame, to stiffen it against twisting(these suckers are pretty soft metal)
Threads look great;
And those threads measure out at 20 threads per inch… Thats the good news, since my lathe has a gear set for the feed to turn that thread pitch!
The bad news is, the new barrel is too long to fit in the lathe!
I Think I can make it work if I grind off the integral front sight ramp(be a real shame to do it, thats a great feature of classic rifles that you do’t see anymore!) And then the Integral ranm around the mid length dovetail Might be a problem. We’ll see. 😉